Preppers, page-2

1. 80,894 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    hi all,

many prepper ideas aren't all that outlandish the way we are going now in society.

If I forget all the big bad things that can happen - like wars, tidal waves, earthquakes, asteroids - all the out there stuff -

one thing to me stands out ------------ well, sorry to use the expression - but, it stands out like dogs nuts -

and, that is our high dependence now on electronic communications for commerce.

Now, if it isn't bad enough at present - where, if the net goes down or power goes down - then, basically - you just can't do much in the way of transactions - and, it takes quite a while to get things back on line.

However - there are moves and ideas around atm that are going to take away one of our most important backup methods of transacting if the system crashes ------------- and, that is

to go cash free

A cashless society. Now - that puts crisis time in a totally different light.

If the poop hits the fan and the atms and electronic sales points in supermarkets and fuel stations go down - then, we are completely dependent on either the banks rolling out the old swipe systems or cash or the owner of the business supplying you on credit

the latter could be done for regular customers - but, no one is going to do that for strangers and I cannot see supermarkets doing that at all.

Roll out of swipe machines could be very slow. Even if they managed it - movements of funds inside accounts might be impossible - so, if your credit card is maxed out - and, you cannot move funds into it - you are probably stuffed unless the banks unlock limits.

Which leaves cash - and, you can only use cash if cash exists.

Of course you can only use cash if you have the cash as well - but, it's probably easier to borrow some cash from trusted friends or family than it is to go to the supermarket and ask for credit (which I think would be impossible).

Enter -- prepping.

A storage of food, a storage of water (electronics down - possibly water and electricity down). A holding of some cash. A storage of fuel.

All preppy ideas - but, in a time when the cards won't work in the supermarket or fuel station and you have no cash -

then, those preppy ideas don't look so dumb at all.

What we have is chaos in business if the transaction points go down now for a few hours -- well, imagine if they went down for a week?????

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.