Thanks for your comments, perseng. On this: "It's an interesting...

1. Enn
    1,463 Posts.
    Thanks for your comments, perseng.

On this:
    "It's an interesting point you bring up. My schooling was in the 80's and early 90's. There was some multicultural and indigenous focus, but I feel it was a good balance."

Mine was a decade earlier and was in New Zealand. I expect there is an enormous variation of curriculum from country to country. I know I was thoroughly educated in the Maori culture, the Treaty of Waitangi etc, and then - at rather the other end of the spectrum - in some detail about British history which of course was a natural sequelae of New Zealand being colonised by the British who very much brought their culture with them.

That was probably to the detriment of any understanding of our near neighbours. Certainly very little about Australia and other Pacific or South East Asian countries.

To older people there is perhaps a desire to return to the simplicity of the time of their youth, where choices were fewer, and rules of societal engagement more clear. Something comforting about conforming which is absolutely not the case today.

But to return to the question of basic literacy and numeracy, I think this is essential for the successful negotiation of life. If you can't properly fill out a form, write an articulate letter, job application, you will be significantly disadvantaged.

Best of luck with learning another language. You have more courage than I in this respect.
    Last edited by Enn: 22/10/14

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.