GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

Dazed "So.... the Fed is paying interest to the participating...

1. 7,423 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 152
    Dazed

"So.... the Fed is paying interest to the participating banks on a balance of 2.5 trillion. Where does the Fed get the money to pay that interest?"

The Fed is paying about $6.7 billion a year in interest on reserve deposits to the commercial banks. The Fed is receiving about $126 billion a year (my estimate based on 3% return) in interest from the bonds purchased under QE. You may notice that the Fed is making a huge profit out of QE.

"Secondly, how would the Fed keep paying interest if/when the rates start to rise?"

The Fed sets the interest rate paid on reserve deposits. That rate will only go up when the Fed lets it go up. I estimate that the Fed has to raise the rate on reserve deposits from the current level of 0.25% to over 4.69% before they start losing money. In the most optimistic scenario, I don't see short US rates back at those levels in the next ten years.

The rest of your comments are based on the erroneous assumption that QE has a cost to the Fed, or you going off on a tangent about the US economy. Forgive me if I won't bother commenting on them.

Cheers

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.