Respectful Debate - I'm voting Yes

1. 697 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    So far today from No proponents on this forum I have seen comments that homosexuals are:

- perverts
    - Sexual miscreants
    - implying they are pedophiles (comment that 20 years ago they would not have been allowed within 100m of a school)

and that Yes voters are:

- too stupid to read the survey form
    - too stupid to even tick a box on the survey form
    - inacapable of the simple act of putting the survey form in a reply paid envelope and posting it

The same posters then have the gall to claim that Yes proponents are:

- malicious
    - liars
    - bullies

I know the rule about not feeding the trolls but I can't help responding on this, so I'll make a few points:

- there is no link between homosexuality and pedophilia. In fact statistically it is the opposite, with a disproportionate majority of pedophiles being heterosexual men
    - I can read and write (and even tick boxes) at a quite proficient level. I would argue that Anthony Pratt, Alan Joyce and other Australian execs would also be quite proficient in these tasks to be where they are today. I'm sure there are intelligent and stupid people on both sides of the debate - god knows I've seen them
    - As for the pervert/miscreant claim, well that is an opinion rather than a fact but both suggestions are somewhat hateful and disrespectful I would argue.

I'm a heterosexual father in a committed marriage and I believe of reasonable intelligence, and for my friends and family members that are gay I will be voting Yes. For my own belief in equality before the law I will be voting yes. For my belief that extending the institution of marriage makes for a stronger society I will be voting yes. For the research that shows sexuality is determined in the womb, and is not a choice or a curable affliction I will be voting yes. 60 years ago my father in law was caned at school as a left hander if he used his left hand for anything. I want people of the future to think about gay marriage the way I think about left-handedness (my daughter is left handed !)

Some final thoughts:

- Gay couples can already legally have a child through adoption, natural conception and IVF. Same sex marriage laws have zero impact on this
    - There are good and bad points to the safe schools program. I believe it is good for kids to be taught that their words and actions have real consequences
    - I want to live in a society where gay young men in rural communities are not driven to suicide because they feel abnormal and that society does not accept them for who they are

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.