To be held back is somewhat an essential state of being human....

1. 6,566 Posts.
    To be held back is somewhat an essential state of being human. It's all very well to espouse some complete liberation of the individual but that is not going to work at all, that's a formula for a living hell.

We have law, social codes, a directive to educate our children in systems so they might be measured against each other. If you want freedom then the way I did it was by going bush, getting off the grid, sitting in the middle of a desert alone and watching the night sky. The minute you enter back into society you must have rules and restrictions.

As much as you denigrate religion it has an essential place in the human psyche. It's hardwired, we humans are not all reasoning, capable of absolute individualism, nor are we sound in though, but we get clever when we work in teams. We are dreamers, fantasists, full of abstraction and from this comes all that we have achieved and there is a price.

I don't understand humans and that's why I take an interest in religion. Yes, fundamental religion is as close to a mental illness as you can get before they put you away. Many religions teach rubbish that contradicts logic, reason and science, but if you look at how religion developed our societies and sense of self you can see it is essential.

Religion like all human constructs is evolving, slowly I'll admit and in this age it looks like a complete anachronism, a waste of time, but that's today, we might do better tomorrow.

And thank you for pointing out my mental illness, I was hoping to keep that a secret.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.