I think ppm56 absolutely nailed his answer to you. It was...

1. 6,546 Posts.
    I think ppm56 absolutely nailed his answer to you. It was eloquent and allowed a degree of wriggle room which to accomodate various interpretations across history, and there is never one way to interpret the complexity of scripture, so all interpretations are right to some degree. Scripture is deeply symbolic, poetic, allegorical and metaphoric, so there is no definitive answer.

I could not agree with ppm56 more regarding his response to you and would have been pleased with myself had I written that post.

The one interpretation which I believe is the least likely is yours. God is a spiritual essence, He has no lungs and does not breath, therefore the breath He put into Adam was not air. Also Adam is a generic representation of each of us, we each receive the breath of life from God.

The Bible does not spell out literal accounts, it builds symbolic word-plays of spiritual states for which there are no words. We are then encouraged to explore the inner realities of scripture. The breath of God is the pouring of His own essence into Adam and Adam is all of us and this essence of God, the human spirit is the true life, the eternal life, not the temporal body which comes and goes.

There are no simple questions when it comes to the Bible, simple means you don't understand something, or there is much more to try to understand.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.