"Sort of goes against the grain and feels like living, living,...

1. Enn
    1,463 Posts.
    "Sort of goes against the grain and feels like living, living, living, 65, dying, dying, as the money peaks and then falls".

Sierra, it sounds as though you're having difficulty adjusting to the milestone that retirement represents, ie the end of what you've always seen as a productive, goal-oriented life. A reaching of something that feels like a dead end.
    I think a lot of people find the same, especially the blokes.

You've had some interesting and useful comments above. I especially liked picastoc's remarks.

I became self funded and out of the work force some years before reaching any sort of retirement age. For me it was a relief to withdraw from a very competitive corporate environment which had nonetheless served me well in terms of good income, company car etc.

I do think you need something to do in retirement. Cazzex has said how the companionship of the boat club has so enlivened her life. It doesn't have to be paid work. A good feeling comes from volunteering in your community. Schools are always welcoming of someone to help slow readers and you have the fun of being in the company of kids which brings some balance to your life. Various community agencies will have roles for volunteers. Here's a starting point to have a look at:
    http://govolunteer.com.au/

You mention perhaps getting out of your SMSF. Why would you want to do that? For me it's an absorbing interest, being focused on keeping capital preserved and generating a living from dividends and franking credits.

It can be tough living alone and conducive to a bit too much self-reflection. Maybe that's part of what's going on for you at present? Just my own experience, but I've always found changing the focus to thinking about how I might be able to get involved with/contribute the community is really useful. A good way to meet new friends.

Is there a U3A in your area? (University of the Third Age). For people who don't know, this was started by retirees just like us who missed the intellectual stimulation of the positions they'd held while working. Various of them offered to run courses in their own field of special interest or qualification. I've belonged to my local branch for many years, have run a "Current Affairs Discussion Group" for five of those years, and for two years an "Introduction to the Share Market". Other groups and courses are widely varied and include such as Philosophy, Political Systems, French Language, Creative Writing, Hydroponics, Poetry and many others.

Hope this helps. Remember you're not alone. I think most of us (especially if single) go through quite a sustained period of feeling cut loose with no direction before settling into what is simply the next part of our lives.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.