There are a lot of people of varying interests in HC land, there...

1. 14,231 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 11
    There are a lot of people of varying interests in HC land, there must a frustrated gardener or two.

I have been trying to reclaim a big back yard from the weeds and while there are still a lot of varying weeds out there I do know how to control them if I could muster the time and energy but OXALIS drives me to distraction. It has spread as I have slowly reduced the rest.

It looks like clover and every beginner knows clover can be controlled by selective herbicides like 2,4-D but oxalis ain't no ordinary clover.

2,4-D is systemic, effecting broad leaf plants only, not grasses, which is absorbed into the plant and "explodes" its cells with an artificial growth hormone therefore it SHOULD kill the plant completely, not just burn the leaves, but that's all I see with 2,4-D or Searles Buffalo Master. Worse many leaves are only effected on the fringes. I'm testing NOT adding detergent to my mix so the herbicide doesn't simply run off the leaves.

Why I started this thread is because I have just had a small scale win. I'm in the tropics where buffalo is our preferred grass and while mucking about I have learned that it does quite well while covered by high percentage shade cloth and I suspect that oxalis likes lot of sun. I covered some lawn with the shade cloth for a couple of weeks and then sprayed with the Buffalo Master, which I doubt is as good as 2,4-D, and got an excellent kill - first time ever.

Got any experiences to share?

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/6124/6124217-8b7509788a25ed87baccaec1bad312d2.jpg
    Last edited by LoadedDog: 24/04/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.