Jessie, That link from Human Rights Watch is a fairly long read...

1. 4,226 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 44
    Jessie,
    That link from Human Rights Watch is a fairly long read for this time of night so I thought I'd just read a page or two. Well, I didn't get much past the first couple of sentences.

"After Bashar al-Asad succeeded his father as president in July 2000, many people in Syria hoped that the human rights situation would improve. In his first inaugural speech on July 17, al-Asad spoke of the need for “creative thinking,” “the desperate need for constructive criticism,” “transparency,” and “democracy.”"

The first sentence tells me that Bashar al-Assad's father was already in trouble with destabilisation of his government which would have carried over into his son's reign. As we see in the second sentence Bashar al-Assad decides to try a more democratic approach. I wonder who was suggesting that. Reading on a bit further, Assad promptly finds out that it won't work and has to revert back to his father's tactics.

How many democracies are working in the region? What did it take to rule Iraq? Maybe Assad should follow the Saudi lead and just chop heads off in a public square to get the masses under control, but we both know that Human Rights Watch would be right onto that. Hypocrisy, for a reason.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.