Russia Ukraine war, page-206173

1. 7,797 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 282

"Oleksiy Arestovych, President Zelenskyy’s former spokesman, told theUnherdwebsite that the root of Ukraine’s recruitment problem is that only 20% of Ukrainians believe in the anti-Russian Ukrainian nationalism that has controlled Ukrainian governments since the overthrow of the Yanukovych government in 2014. “What about the remaining 80%?” the interviewerasked.

“I think for most of them, their idea is of a multinational and poly-cultural country,” Arestovych replied. “And when Zelenskyy came into power in 2019, they voted for this idea. He did not articulate it specifically but it was what he meant when he said, ‘I don’t see a difference in the Ukrainian-Russian language conflict, we are all Ukrainians even if we speak different languages.’”

“And you know,” Arestovych continued, “my great criticism of what has happened in Ukraine over the last years, during the emotional trauma of the war, is this idea of Ukrainian nationalism which has divided Ukraine into different people: the Ukrainian speakers and Russian speakers as a second class of people. It’s the main dangerous idea and a worse danger than Russian military aggression, because nobody from this 80% of people wants to die for a system in which they are people of a second class.”
    After Two Years of War in Ukraine, It’s Time for Peace - CounterPunch.org

Last edited by street professor: 26/02/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.