Supposedly a Diary was found amongst the rubble of Avovsteel...

1. 6,316 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 54
    Supposedly a Diary was found amongst the rubble of Avovsteel Works.

The diary is by a Polish soldier who was caught up at the steel plant.
    It was written in Ukrainian and translated to English.
    Outlines some of the conditions he faced while there at the plant.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/4382/4382356-55268ca68bf3a9a21f60df9209e34e8c.jpg

Exploring the basements of the newly liberated "Azovstal", the military commanders of "KP" Alexey Ovchinnikov and Dmitry Steshin accidentally stumbled upon a little book in a black cover, which turned out to be the diary of one of the inmates of the cellars of the Mariupol plant.

The diary, written in Ukrainian, although it covers a short period - from May 1 to May 17 - but details the conditions of stay in bunkers: how they got food, they were angry at the well-fed and clean "Azovites", they believed in Ukrainian propaganda - in the "happy ship" that would take the Azovstal inmates to "evacuation", and then they were preparing to surrender.
    The military officers translated this diary from Ukrainian.

1.05.2022. Mariupol, Azovstal, Bunker.

"I WANT TO HOWL WITH HOPELESSNESS"
    It is already May, and there is no end in sight to our problems in the environment. Today there was a message about the evacuation of civilians and on the radio they told about the end of the truce and silence. Most likely, a new, more powerful series of air flights (aerial bombings. - Ed.).
    The next day, two-day duty with Koval's group. After four days in the bunker, this is very useful, because here you already want to howl from boredom and hopelessness, and the food is like that, even if you cry from resentment. We won't see the Internet anyway, because the authorities don't care, and on duty in daylight you feel like a person, not some kind of rat.
    While silence, climbed to the surface. Today we remembered May Day celebrations in peacetime — kebabs, sunshine and even the opening of the bathing season. How far away it all is now...

2.05.2022. In the same place.

"HALF-BOWL PORTIONS"
    Today I had the opportunity to go online, watched the news. About the adoption of equipment, tanks, artillery and aircraft (apparently, we are talking about the supply of weapons by the West. - Ed.) According to forecasts, in May Russia should understand that the case did not burn out. Even if all resources are mobilized, Ukraine will intensify the onslaught.
    Something was flying very well in our workshop over the bunker, the dust rose into the air. I moved into the room to the "Resolution". But when I looked around, I saw that a large beam was hanging directly above my head. I decided to move to the shop, so it's calmer.
    We were going to sort out the rubble over the "store" with products today, where everyone is grazing a little. But the shelling prevented, you need to move along the street, and these are big risks, especially with such a crowd. So with the products — so-so. There was even borscht for lunch today, but portions of half a bowl. We save water, give one and a half liters for two days each. How glad I am that I don't have the humiliating desire to look for cigarette butts, so many people do.

3.05.2022. In the same place.

"ALL THE TOBACCO FROM THE "BULLS" WAS PULLED"
    I sawed wood in the afternoon, there is enough here — the boards and beams are prepared, only the saw is blunt. I managed to drink a couple of mugs of tea during the day. A problem with water and a queue to the kettle. With sugar too.
    At one of our positions, "Communal", there is an exit to the river. Our Marines put nets on the fish there, yesterday "Hans" saw them off to collect the catch. We eat lean, twice a day. It's a problem with smoking, all the tobacco from the "bulls" has been pulled for a long time, newspapers are spinning. My main joy is that Palych showed me a text message from his wife about the fact that everything is fine with them, they love me very much and are waiting for me. Calmed down. Returned from the positions. I had to kick the dog out of my place. The white dog, who was considered a labrador, turned out to be a Rottweiler, now he is not white, all covered in dirt and fuel oil. I don't know what he eats, there's nothing to eat himself, but he doesn't leave.

4.05.2022. In the same place.

"THERE ARE NO HOPES, PRODUCTS AT A MINIMUM"
    The boys with Koval returned, told that there was a strong mortar attack, one was wounded, and Koval was a little hooked. The situation is acute. All shelters were dismantled by shelling from tanks and armored personnel carriers.
    There is no news, there is no evacuation. The unknown is annoying. We need to hold on, but there is no hope. There are still products, but at a minimum.

5.05.2022 Ibid.

"JUST LET'S GO TO THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE"
    The prospect of getting out of here is increasingly impossible. It is becoming clearer that we are becoming some kind of bargaining chip. Perhaps this is the piece that Russia will be satisfied with and will stop military operations in Ukraine by taking Azovstal and Azovtsev. We'll just go to the slaughter or humiliating captivity, because it looks like they forgot about us. Today Oleg Kadolba watched the Internet a little, there are messages about Mariupol from Zelensky: he said that not a day goes by that he does not think about evacuation. But these are just empty words.
    It would be nice to wash off the dirt, because there are only napkins (more precisely, medical masks instead of napkins), and there is very little water at all. Some kind of ragged dreams — stomping, explosions, the constant noise of units that pass almost over their heads back and forth at night. Thoughts only about the house, delicious food, smoking.

6.05.2022. The bunker of the Pamir company.

"RASTAMANIA HAS BLOSSOMED"
    The 7th company promised a truce. Upon the return of the platoon leader and the Archie group, it remained to wait for the completion of the shelling and the planned sortie to the "store 10" (a warehouse with products. - Ed.). We went out there in two groups (there were 20 people in ours), but without armor. It was good, because while we reached (almost 3 km), I steamed up. There was a tour of the ruins of the plant. The scale of the destruction is impressive, the greatness of the broken giant, everything is broken. To get food, you need to disassemble the rubble of concrete and bricks, under all this to find what they did not have time to take out before us. This "store" has been dismantled for more than a week. They are pulling out bags of cereals and peas, there was also a stew somewhere...
    But everyone was more interested in a half-burnt refrigerator. The meat was burned in it, but butter, cheese, sausage and frozen fish were preserved. Words cannot convey this stench — from rotten fish that needs to be excavated, because there is sausage in vacuum packages at the bottom. And melted butter. I was sick, but what to do. They collected everything that could still be eaten. At the base, I had to get rid of the uniform and wash it for a long time, but still — everything was soaked with rotten stuff.
    "Rostik" informed me that the day after tomorrow he should go on duty with "Kolyaka", because he drops out of the team. The "rastamania" is to blame for everything, which has blossomed in exuberant color on the positions of marines and others. "Grass" has become a marketable commodity, a bargaining chip. Of course, this does not benefit the service. Our youth is making money on this for a platoon of gesheft — exchanged products. Well done.

7.05.2022. In the same place

"WE ARE LOSERS FOR THEM"
    On the second day, the cooks try to make the most of the sausage that we brought (two—thirds of what we brought were thrown out anyway - unsuitable). Fried and added everywhere. I remember Shevchenko's "for a piece of rotten sausage".
    We live by the minimum and small things. For some reason, and the combat tasks that the state needs, we are definitely not performing here, we are just sitting under siege. We have frequent guests Marines from the 36th Brigade. Those who were abandoned to the mercy of fate by the brigade commander. We often talk about the "Azovites", about their bosses — they sit in the warmth, clean and well-fed, they control the actions of the military from tablets. At the same time, they take care of their own. All other fighters are treated like cannon fodder, considered worthless and losers. Of course, this does not raise morale in any way, and there is no question of military brotherhood. There is no open confrontation, but everyone understands that it is the presence of "Azov" that is the problem, which prevents us from solving the issue of our stay here without death or captivity.

8.05.2022 Ibid.

"OMINOUS RUMORS"
    Nikolay Golubov brought some ominous rumors about Zelensky's agreement on the surrender of the DPR and the LPR within the borders of the regions. To my reasonable question — how can we give the territories under our control - he began to convince me that the whole of Donbass has already been occupied. I don't believe it and I don't want to fight with these fools.
    People say that I have lost face weight. This is good, maybe my eyes will be refreshed, otherwise when I remember the last passport photo, I will laugh and cry.

9.05.2022. In the same place.

"IT WOULD BE OVER SOON"
    "Palych" and Kodolba came from the positions, but only so that the platoon commander in the workshop shot the machine gun with a new mount, a "greenhouse" (a night vision sight with a thermal imager. - Ed.). The food is almost unsalted — there is not enough salt. Portions are also reduced. But I'm not complaining — I'm not going to swell with hunger, and that's good. It's the middle of May soon, but it hasn't gotten any warmer. There is nowhere to hide from dirt and dust, although I constantly wash my hands with antiseptic. The beard is already thick. It will be interesting to see yourself shaved. They want to take away the optics of my SVD (Dragunov sniper rifle. - Ed.). Yesterday we even received an offer to change it to a vending machine. I'm all for it. The general mood: it would be over soon, everyone dreams of leaving.

"DUSTY PILLAR"
    It became more interesting. On the night of May 9-10, airstrikes began, from which even the walls of the bunker tremble. Bombs are now dropped during the day. It is impossible to prepare for an explosion — nothing is heard. It makes me a little nervous. A pillar of dust. I had to go down lower, but the dust is there too. I learned from the news that our people are conducting a counteroffensive near Kharkov. Everything is fine with the gunners and soon they will master the American 155-mm howitzers, high-precision and long-range. Putin did not mobilize, did not hold parades (apparently, the Ukrainian media did not mention the Parade in Moscow on May 9. - Ed.). Negotiations about our evacuation are continuing.

11.05.2022. In the same place.

"FIGHT OVER FOOD"
    The company officer conducted a conversation to find out the problems of the servicemen. I raised the question about the payment of military operations. Ideally, it would be good to get a printout of all payments. We do not have the opportunity to check the money in the account, as well as
    to send it home. Nazarliev rushed into a fight against one of the guys. Because of the distribution of products. It is clear that when someone finds food on the side and feeds in a narrow circle, and someone sits on a short ration, there will be problems. (ending follows)

"IT'S SCARY TO IMAGINE ALL THE LOSSES"

I was on duty near the radio almost all day. I heard negotiations with a "Lawyer" - a marine of the 36th brigade. They recalled their inglorious breakthrough from Mariupol, two unsuccessful attempts, the escape of the brigade commander, hundreds of losses, prisoners. They said that there was a mass grave at the Metallurg stadium, 150 fighters. Another truck with their "cargo of 200" (the bodies of the dead. - Ed.) was flooded at the Ilyich Plant. Losses at Azovstal and in hospitals are also closed in refrigerators that do not work. One of them was destroyed by an explosion. Such terrible things. Rumors came up that 69 people were trapped in one of the bunkers after the airstrikes near the "shop 20". It's scary to imagine all the statistics of losses. after May 9, a new evacuation date is in the air — Monday the 16th. They still dream of a lucky ship to a Turkish prison until the end of the war.

"THE RAIN DID NOT INTERFERE WITH THE RUSSIAN TANK"

The morning brought tragic news — our sniper from the 3rd platoon, Sergeant Zinchuk, was killed. This is almost the only professional sniper, he was very careful and responsible. Obviously, there are pros working on the other side. This is the fifth loss in the battalion during the rotation, not counting the missing fighter Ivan Krivonos. "Archie" came, cocked, attacked Demchenko, who made a remark for the noise at 5 o'clock in the morning. Everyone's nerves are giving up. It started raining heavily. God, we've already forgotten that it might rain. But a Russian tank worked hard for more than an hour in our bunker — the rain did not interfere with it.

05/15/2022

"HOW ARE MY PEOPLE DOING IN POLAND?"

From the news I heard: negotiations on our issue were supposed to take place in Mariupol today, representatives from the "horde" were waiting.
    Disappointing rumors: the products are running out and it is unknown whether they will be issued at all. The food warehouse is completely filled up. This is where there are about 70 "two hundredths". And in general — there are twice as many killed.
    It's the middle of May, spring has passed, and we don't see it at all. We still wear winter clothes.
    Interesting: How are my people doing in Poland? Are they basking in the spring sun? I would have warmed up.

16.05.2022. Company "Pamir", "Bunker".

"HOPE FOR SALVATION IS A LIE"

And now the turning point has come. Today, at the formation, the company commander announced that our evacuation was beginning. Formally so, but in fact we are disarmed and transferred to the Yelenovka pre-trial detention center, which is under the control of the DPR. And although the command convinces that the word "captivity" does not appear, it still does not change the essence — it is captivity. It is clear that the hope of salvation is a lie. Today, the seriously wounded were evacuated to the Novoazovsk hospital (also DNR). Those who accompanied them were sent to the pre-trial detention center. They promise decent conditions, "protection" of the Russian guard (not separatists), three meals a day, sleeping places. They hope that they will be exchanged quickly. They were allowed to take things with them. But all this does not calm down, because lack of freedom and defeat. Getting rid of equipment and armor. We destroy what we can. I don't know what to do with the diaries. Leave it here in a hiding place, but I can't believe that there will be an opportunity to find them sometime. Burn — the hand does not rise ...
    I deleted everything from the phone except toys. Hands drop. Although after what we've been through, it already seems like it won't get any worse.
    How senseless and wildly perceived is the last loss of Petty Officer Zinchuk, who did not live long enough to be evacuated. And today a sniper killed one and wounded another "Azov", who were making their way to the river. They say that there will be a different attitude to the APU than to Azov. Oh, my God, when will this all be over? Tomorrow everything will be seen, what and how. While I made a trip to the workshop, wandered through the ruins, such a longing, it was a farewell walk.

17.05.2022. In the same place.

"WE HAVE NO CHOICE"

Sorted things out. I got rid of the knives, burned the chevrons, as well as pages from diaries with some data. In the evening, I clung to the "Palych" and oh, a miracle — I got 10 minutes of communication. My beloved got through, we talked for three minutes. I think they realized that I was going to be captured. I didn't see contempt for us in the news, but we have no choice. What will happen? Everything is in the hands of the Lord.

NECESSARY COMMENT TO THE PUBLICATION OF THE DIARY FROM DMITRY STESHIN
    Don't be sorry. They didn't feel sorry for anyone!
    We know what happened in the bunker under the Reich Chancellery – there are many eyewitness accounts left. Books have been written about it, films have been made. People are always interested in how scoundrels get what they deserve, and Good wins over Evil. I have no doubt that the last days of the "Azovstal sitters" will also arouse burning interest. There are too many coincidences between the two stories, although exactly 77 years have passed between them — the same spring. The ideas are the same, the symbolism is the same – swastikas and runes. At Azovstal, the scoundrels got into trouble no worse than the Berlin ones, only with a smaller caliber. But even what they managed to do would have been enough for the gallows: they dragged thousands of people to the next world, destroyed a beautiful city. At parting, out of spite, without apparent military necessity. And no awareness of his guilt. No attempt to think: "And what did we do wrong, since we were driven into these basements like rats? What are they to blame for?".
    No. The "prisoners" think only how to save their skins, they are waiting for NATO intervention, they believe in a Turkish steamer that will take them out, to the last, to captivity.
    Note that this diary was not written by a rabid Nazi from Azov. No, this is some kind of combatant from the National Guard. An officer seconded to Mariupol. He will serve time, and will come out, apparently, with a "clear conscience", theoretically. At the moment when we found this diary under a smelly mattress in a bomb shelter, a mise en scene happened. A militia scout with the call sign "Fox" talked about politics, simultaneously collecting scattered automatic magazines in a garbage bag. I quote "Fox" verbatim: - In vain they divide the "Azov" and the rest of the Ukrainian military, it's the same bastard. I talked to people in Mariupol. The same ukromorpehi people shot whole families. Just if you didn't like it or aroused suspicion.
    I've been told similar things, too. They showed the victim's grave. On the playground, in the sandbox. Some middle-aged man started having hysterics. The psyche broke after the shelling. And those who allegedly protected this guy from "orcs" and "separators", instead of giving him a sedative, just shot him. Casually. Without hesitation. Ordinary Ukrainian soldiers. Nothing surprising – officers who had undergone ideological pumping in the "Azov" were placed as commanders in the rest of the troops. And judging by the abundance of swastikas on ordinary soldiers captured, the ideas of bunker sitters from two eras have found great understanding in the army, which is now being ground by our troops. And there is no doubt that the most interesting bunker that we will open will be in Kiev. The circle will close.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.