Last time I posted the contrarian long term S&P chart when the...

1. 1,487 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 65
    Last time I posted the contrarian long term S&P chart when the consensus was predicting a bear market there was some interest so here's an update after the last 2 days volatility.
    CH_TP.JPG

CH_Basic.JPG
    To re-cap, the channel represents a 500D SMA adjusted for observed error (click the link above for an explanation of error).

The two common price based measures of fair value are mean reversion & momentum.
    Mean reversion is betting that fair value is the mean (in this case the midpoint between the channel lines) and if price is above the mean it's overpriced & the opposite when below.
    Momentum is the re-pricing of the asset. If a chart is ranging sideways there is no momentum and the asset is fairly priced however if the long term mean is moving up or down there is momentum.

CH_OSC_FULL.JPG
    The oscillator above shows the S&P price over the 90 year period. 0% represents the mean and the orange lines represent the 'most probably lye' boundaries.

Both charts show that when price breaches the upper boundaries of the channel it is rarely a short term event but rather a longer more sustained display of momentum (a re-rate) driven by economic conditions.
    CH_OSC_2015.JPG
    Zooming in (2015 to today) the S&P has briefly entered the Overbought positive momentum zone and last night it retraced to 19.4%.
    If the market were to change momentum to the downside, this would be atypical of historical moves.

For mine today's retrace is a buying opportunity and the current bull market has some way to run (years).

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.