Shorten changes tune on Vic visa checks, page-12

1. 4,226 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 44
    I can't see why some posters are displaying so much hysteria and paranoia on this subject. Brown shirts, profiling, jack boots etc.

When I was over in Hong Kong I had to have an ID card like the locals did and I had to carry it with me at all times. It had a silicon chip in it which contained an encrypted digital photo and other data relevant to me. I don't know what that extra data was but everybody over there just took it for granted. I never had to go through this points business when proving ID. The one card was enough, or even just the card number when filling in forms and posting.. If anyone with authority asked to see it I must hand it over.

So how did I feel about it? I didn't see any signs of a "police state", brown shirts, etc. I actually felt very secure knowing that this card was very difficult to forge and I could prove my identity (and more) any time. Nobody ever asked me to produce it on the street, probably because I wasn't suspicious. I did have to produce it when dealing with various government departments, police stations etc.

IMO we should have these in Australia. If all migrants got one they could have their visa status included in it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.