Shortfall in social housing

1. 15,960 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 134

While basically a conservative I've  always been a bit eclectic in my political likes & dislikes.

Thus I've always had a belief in a more mixed economy than what has developed over say the last 30 years or so with the sell off of various publicly-owned corporations & institutions. However they've gone now and there's two chances of them returning - none & Buckely's (whoever he was).

Listening to one of Geraldine Doogue's podcast segments this morning I heard there was a staggering shortfall, something over 400,000 in the required number of social housing units currently. We all know it is harder and harder for younger people, never mind the non-home owning elderly to find affordable rentals and to get into home ownership.

In the 1950s-60s it was achievable. Why have we fone backwards? I seem to recall one or two PMs promise grand plans to tackle the issue but they would say that wouldn't  they.

I can't  believe it's beyond the ingenuity of Australian political and industrial leadership to make a joint effort on this. What is lacking is the will it seems.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.