Hi blooreeler Lucky you to be able to go on endless holidays I...

1. 25,409 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 29
    Hi blooreeler
    Lucky you to be able to go on endless holidays
    I am not saying that we should stop ALL timber harvesting but it should be predominately from plantation timber like Watagan which is mainly pine and they only harvest 2% per year of the total forest

The few cents a tonne was a cynical comment on Gunns wood chip business which was built on the basis of it's cheap sale price of wood chips which were sold for $15.00 per ton in the 80s (and this was after a big price rise), so it worked out as a few cents per tree.

The Green political party say they are there to protect the environment, and yes they spent a lot of their time trying to get more boat people in instead of looking after the environment

Hi hanrahan
    Trees do regrow but a eucalyptus tree can take a hundred years to grow to maturity so we will have to wait a long time to see it once it is cut down

Hi jlov3
    Selective logging is a nice term but it usually means take the most profitable tree and leave the junk. It is impossible to selectively log a forest, because when there is a gap left it leaves the way open for scrub to take over the wildlife don't go there and in general it does the same as when you cut yourself it just leaves a scar which is there forever

As for having timber to build and to have for furniture, yes I agree we have to have some for that purpose, but woodchips? and for junk uses.

It all comes back to the same augment if you are going to use up something of value which is not replaceable (in the foreseeable) future what is the befit to the country and it's people, then it has to be more than the profits of some overseas company or a few short time jobs

For goodies sake do your research and read a bit.

Between 1936 and 1980 half the trees and forests in Victoria were cut down. We have to stop at some point

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.