Just a follow up from earlier today,The numbers are straight...

1. 1,593 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6

Just a follow up from earlier today,
    The numbers are straight cost, they come from the models and assumptions supporting the headline articles being discussed.

For Wind and Solar I picked the lowest cost and for coal the highest. There was only a small difference in the Wind and Black Coal HELE cost however the Solar cost in 2020 was 17% lower in the CSIRO workings compare to the other two which possibly reflects Tinitus’s point.

The wind farms are intermittent and cannot be relied on like traditional generation. Some of the newer farms do have higher Capacity factors. The Kiata Wind Farm has about 49% average capacity factor (June 18 – current), The Tassie ones are higher as well. Most often the wind farms seem to run higher and lower than the average and this variability creates problems for the grid such as on the 1st March. I think it would actually better to have a lower Capacity Factor with higher reliability and this would reduce bottlenecks and price disruptions.

@stevo This is a work in progress I've been working and gives a weekly view of performance.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/1471/1471378-90483878423108bea10669deb9191d81.jpg

Solar is a little different because we know the sun patterns so it is at least possible to plan backup through the reserves and give notice to other generators so they can plan their own resourcing and materials supply.
    Bw

Last edited by Rob79: 15/03/19

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.