"Copper, it becomes difficult to explain due to disciples of his...

1. 8,407 Posts.
    "Copper, it becomes difficult to explain due to disciples of his day believing the Kingdom of God was imminent. Jesus spoke of the temple being destroyed ."

I think they believed that because that's what Jesus told them ... if the discourse is to be believed.
    Any other interpretation is quite difficult and why some believers must perform literary gymnastics and second guess Jesus' intentions to make it fit.

"Jesus had gone to great lengths to help them understand this would occur in the distant future."

As whereu has asked it would be interesting to see what you regard as "going to great lengths to help them understand ....".
    Jesus could simply have said something like "Israel and the temple will be destroyed in your lifetime but my return will happen in the far distant future ... thousands of years at least."
    Telling that to contemporary converts and especially survivors of the 70 AD destruction would be a marketing disaster.

Such a scenario defies all reason. Christianity would never have got off the ground if people were told "I know it looks bad watching your loved ones and all you value, being destroyed but be patient, Jesus will return in the far distant future and you will sleep till then."
    That's not how people work and no doubt one of the reasons the JW and other "2nd Coming" streams ply the story of the "return" as imminent .... over and over for the last 2,000 yrs.

IMO, without the filter of naive faith, belief in Biblical inerrancy and an imminent "apocolyptic end time", your alternative discourse story does not add up.
    It excludes the balancing role of reason, arguably one of God's greatest gifts.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.