GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

One idea that all goldbugs seem to subscribe is the one...

1. 5,237 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 35
    One idea that all goldbugs seem to subscribe is the one  summarised by Hercules  when stating  that American [foreign] policy is all about the dollar.

A corollary of such premise is that America's involvement in the last two world wars must have been all about defending the dollar, a fact that I find strange because the number one reserve currency at that time was, if I am not mistaken,  gold. On the same token, I also find strange the idea that America's  involvement in Vietnam was equally all about  defending the dollar, presumably against the inroads of the North Vietnamese currency into the global currency markets

With so much US debt in foreign hands and facing economic stagnation I presume that it would be in America's interest to devalue  their currency, something  that goldbugs have been predicting for quite a long time, but so far in vain. This must  be undoubtedly a  puzzle to them

You may say that the great problem with the US dollar as a reserve currency is that America's monetary policy and therefore the value of its currency tend to be subject to the interests of the US economy rather than those of the rest of the word,  a fact  epitomised in the saying: " the dollar is our currency, but it is your problem' .  If you say that, I would certainly be with you. But the problem here is that China, or any other country for that matter, would have done the same  under similar circumstances. And don't come to tell me that under the gold standard things were different because they were not as illustrated by the fact that countries left the standard when they found it to be  convenient.

I also  hear you people saying that America derives an enormous advantage from the US dollar being a reserve currency, although I must say that I tend to view your suspicions on this matter as an exaggeration  Certainly that America derives from the dollar being a global reserve currency  prestige, some money  in the form of seigniorage and  better access to the capital markets than otherwise, but that seems to me to be all.  But whatever those gains are  they do come   at a price. When foreigners  buy dollars they force down the value of their currency against the dollar, US manufacturers are thus penalized by the overvalued dollar and so must reduce production and fire workers.

On this subject, some interesting reading here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/opinion/03krugman.html?ref=global&_r=0

Hercules mentioned a rule of thumb  about the amount of reserves that a country should have  in order, I presume, to be able to fight speculators or, if you prefer, to defend one's currency in case of need. If I am not mistaken he put the ideal amount  at  an amount enough to cover 8 months  of imports.

That may well be the case, but bearing in mind  what happened during both the GFC and the Asian Financial Crisis that must be only valid  when expecting relatively minor periods of instability. When during the GFC  capital deserted Europe for the USA, the FED had to come to the rescue with the provision of 600 billion in extra liquidity injected into the markets by means of a swap with the ECB.  That is, 600 billion newly printed dollars secured  by an equivalent amount in newly printed euros, dollars that the ECB end up by providing to the European banks in need of them.

Although I am not an expert, I presume  that the recent arrangements between China and Australia  aim also a providing extra liquidity, but for a different reason, namely the difficulty in getting renminbi outside China.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.