MINING ROYALTIES DISASTER. Diamonds are not forever: Indigenous...

1. 4,410 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 14
    MINING ROYALTIES DISASTER.

Diamonds are not forever: Indigenous communities grapple with end of the mining boom

As Australia's resources boom wanes, several Indigenous communities that were once promised prosperity have been left grappling with a legacy of endemic poverty and questions about how mining money has been spent.
    For the traditional land owners around the township of Kununurra in the remote north of Western Australia, diamonds have not been their best friends.
    The nearby Argyle diamond mine is three years from closure, and a royalties fund designed to ensure the community's future is severely depleted.
    Nestled among the scenic ranges of the Kimberley, Kununurra is blessed by an abundance of fresh water, the arable plains of the Ord River to the north-west and the Rio Tinto diamond mine to the south.
    The Indigenous Land Use Agreement that traditional owners negotiated with Argyle between 2003 and 2005 was held up as an example of best practice across the country.
    Now, however, with revenue from the mine running dry and Rio facing the impending high costs of closing the mine, the outlook is bleak.
    Where once the Argyle deals had led to a dramatic increase in Indigenous employment, opportunity, and a sense of self-determination for the people of the north-east Kimberley, now there is despair.
    Despite millions of dollars a year from Argyle diamonds flowing to seven local family groups, or Dawangs, via a complex web of companies and trusts, the community is riven by poverty, poor education, alcoholism and one of the highest teen suicide rates in the country.
    A troubled legacy

Local Ted Hall says the diamond wealth has not helped the Gija and Mirriuwung communities surrounding Kununurra, but has caused fights and havoc amongst family members.
    Mr Hall, a former director and chair of the Traditional Owners Corporation, Gelganyem, says much of the wealth from the mine has been frittered away on failed projects and personal spending.
    "You look at the impact of when royalty money started coming into the communities, that cash payment created a monster — that monster is greed and power," he said.
    "Because it's a democratic system now: majority vote gets you into the council. We've had family members basically cutting each other off at the knee to get top doggy spot on the council, to control the council, to control the community, to control the wealth. He who holds the power ... benefits."
    • Items of personal nature 46%
    • Community development 20%
    • Business development 9%
    • Education 6%
    • Sports and physical fitness program 6%
    • Health 5%
    • Arts and culture 5%
    • Governance training, capacity building 2%
    • Employment and Training 1%
    They demanded self determination and above are the results, nothing put aside just live for the moment.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.