the national anthem

1. 15,975 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 134
    I don't give it capital letters, not because I oppose it but because it's a lousy song
    It defies belief that a more inspiring song couldn't be found. Was there no song perhaps that the Victorian miners sang when they had their rebellion, a revolutionary.song?
    Look at the inspiring song that the French have, or even the Russians, don't know about the Americans. I used to hear a lot of anthems in the days when I was glued to international soccer matches on SBS. Some were good, most were less than average, some were downright weird, like I think Argentina. How could a country with a Maradona expect people to listen & applaud that.

But this is where the story really starts
    Some Aboriginal kids at a private school in SA (?) are having a stoush over not standing for the national anthem. Been disciplined in some way.
    As I said, how could you blame them for sitting it out or even covering their ears?
    When I was a kid we had God Save the Queen
    Now that's a slightly better song, written by a German I think, well the music anyway. The words must have been written by someone let out of Callan Park for the day, but it is what it is
    Maybe we could rent a song, a good one, and pay royalties, maybe a Beatles song
    Everybody would want to sing that or even stand up.and dance
    After all, singing a song to.mark an occasion like a national day or a special ceremony should be a joyous thing. It definitely shouldn't carry echoes of something that upsets or even angers people
    But I guess it's too late. There was probably a vote on it and I was out of it at the time, anyway it's cold soup now, no use heating it up.

I don-t have an answer on punishing kids for not doing something that their people find offensive. But you're sure never going to change their.mind by punishing their kids .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.