mine comes from the stories of family. Those who escaped, those...

1. 17,233 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    mine comes from the stories of family. Those who escaped, those who survived, those who hid. It comes from people such as Mengeles twins, those who stayed in Europe, those who made their way out of Europe and those who decided to chance it on building a new life in Israel. I have had contact with these people over decades. I know people who went to the kibbutzim and those who do their journey as young people to better understand Israel. My oldest son had a second family who was Jewish and I have friends who though not Jewish attended a Jewish school. I worked in an aged care provider that was focused on the Jewish community and heard stories from many of their residents.

seeing the remnants of those in the camps may have given you a second hand view of the outcomes of hitlers plans but it beggars belief that, however vile you think Netanyahu is in his conduct you might compare it with hitler.

how you could possibly claim that the circumstances post ww1 and Israel post ww2 are the same beats me. In fact if you understood the history properly you would also understand what a very different era it was in 1948 - ways of thinking, nationhood, the shifting nature of nations and independent states, the rebuilding of the world, the formulation of different alliances. Everything was different. What nobody took adequate care of in these times was that the Arabs would not accept Israel and that the rise in fundamentalist Islam would destabilise the Middle east and give rise to entirely different values and desires among many nations. It has in fact split the Middle East within Islam itself.

so for someone I think of as reasonably on the ball it is sad to see you fall into the simplistic comparisons

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.