The trip planner on the RACQ website is a ripper, even though I...

1. 3,528 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 105
    The trip planner on the RACQ website is a ripper, even though I live in Victoria, a friend of mine put me on to it.

If you want some great scenery (& sealed roads) get to Wangaratta follow the Great Alpine Road to Bairnsdale Princes Highway detour via Lakes Entrance to Cann River & Monaro Highway to Cooma. If the weather is clear and visibility is good there are great views from the Great Alpine Road on the road up to Mt Hotham.
    Detours for Dinner Plain from the Great Alpine road, Paynesville from Bairnsdale. Old, decommissioned wooden railway trestle bridge is worth a detour before you get to Nowa Nowa.
    In Victoria, old rail trails have been turned into cycle and hiking paths from Wangaratta and also from Bairnsdale to Orbost.

If you want to get on gravel and away from the crowd.
    Get to Bairnsdale then follow the secondary sealed roads to Dargo.
    Visit the iconic Dargo pub (awesome burgers & as famous as the Daly Waters NT iconic pub) and take the Very steep gravel road which is closed in winter during the snow season, to Mt Hotham.
    Not suitable for caravans, and logging trucks are another thing to look out for.
    If you have a 4WD and hopefully a GPS you know you have arrived at the right place (or base) when you get to Dargo - no Autogas available.
    All the north east river valleys running north into the Murray are picturesque. The Mitta, Keiwa, and Ovens rivers are all pretty. Mitta is the most remote and worth investigating but the road to Omeo is winding gravel with little scenery.

If you are not coming down to southern Victoria - the Alpine Way from Jindabyne to Albury via Corryong, Victoria is also a great scenic drive, from memory.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.