TON 0.00% 1.1¢ triton minerals ltd

A Little more History of Ancuabe July 2010; GK eyes Mozambique...

1. PD1
    2,384 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 132
    A Little more History of Ancuabe July 2010;

GK eyes Mozambique
    Mozambique has large natural flake graphite reserves estimated to be about 1m. tonnes of ore with a content of about 10% graphite.

Kenmare Resources Plc, better known for its Moma mineral sands operation also in Mozambique, owned 80% of Ancuabe mine in the province of Cano Delgado in Northern Mozambique, the remaining 20% being owned by the government. Kenmare operated the deposit between 1994 and 1999 but the company had to stop production in 1999
    owing to high energy costs and to the fact that the average price of graphite fell from around $1,300/tonne to $450/tonne (IM 22 July 2008: Rising interest in Mozambique graphite).

In 2007, the Mozambique government announced its intention to re-open the mine. The fact that Ancuabe is now connected to the hydroelectric power produced from the country’s Cahora Bassa Dam, rather than having to generate its own electricity, will certainly provide added incentive to the project’s restart.

As reported by IM in January 2009, Timcal Graphite & Carbon, part of Imerys SA, wined the tender and agreed a deal with the Mozambican government to restart graphite operations at Ancuabe. But the deal was dropped in March 2010 as the French mining giant then estimated that the reserves in the mine was too small.

However, the deposit is still the centre of attention from Europe as a source from the Ministry of Mines revealed to IM that Mozambique is now negotiating with German graphite producer Graphit Kropfmühl (GK) AG. GK confirmed to IM that it is currently performing some investigation and re-evalua- tion on the Ancuabe mine. Supply from China being “no longer as smooth as it was for many years”, the German company decided to start investigation for new sources of material in order to secure on the long term additional own resources to extend the mining and production assets GK already holds.

As Frey explained, the project is still at an early phase so it is too early to decide on a fixed schedule for restarting the mine or an exact production level. “Further steps depend on the results we get and the decision on how to proceed will be taken probably beginning of next year,” Frey said, adding that negotia- tion on an acquisition would only start thereafter.

“But we believe Ancuabe could be brought back on stream within one or three years and production level could be several 1,000 tpa,” he added. A decade ago, Ancuabe had a production of 7,500 tpa natural flake graphite, but the mine is said to have a capacity of about 10,000 tpa.
    Despite being “always open for the evaluation of graphite projects”, GK specified that its main focus is at present the Ancuabe project for its raw materials activities.

http://www.northerngraphite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Graphite-feature-july-2010.pdf

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TON (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
1.1¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $17.17M
Open High Low Value Volume
1.2¢ 1.2¢ 1.1¢ $2.635K 236.1K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
8 1537767 1.1¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
1.2¢ 64520 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 31/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
1.2¢
  Change
0.000 ( 4.55 %)
Open High Low Volume
1.1¢ 1.2¢ 1.1¢ 329618
Last updated 14.16pm 31/05/2024 ?
TON (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.