Travel Insurance - is it worthless?, page-12

1. 2,641 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 150
    Travel insurance companies are refusing to give refunds for cancelled holidays. A refund is seen to be the same as a claim. Claims in the event of a pandemic are all void. To add to that Fight Centre are deducting $300 from each person getting a refund from an airline that cancelled flights due to the virus. Some airlines are keeping back sums of money from the refunds. So in cases of FC handing back from these airlines the punter is getting hit twice. Then you could be down the drain three times.
    Now a success story. I had booked UK flights directly online from Cathay Pacific. When the virus started to blow up, they offered to give us flight changes free of the normal fee. That was to avoid a stop over in Hong Kong. Then as things got worse, and they began to cancel flights all together they offered to refund our fares in full. As they were business class, it was a fair sum of money. In 4 weeks the money was back in my bank account, paid in full. As I was using the insurance provided by my black card, I had not paid a premium for it. My only disquiet is missing our annual trip to the UK via Honkers.
    A moral from this story is to all ways book directly with the airline.
    Last edited by beanpea: 01/05/20

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.