Trump on corona: epic fail, page-149

1. Osi
    15,931 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 201
    OK Trumpists.

The actual mortality rate for those infected by COVID-19 in more developed countries is 0.5% (and perhaps a little more than that).

Looking at the Diamond Princess data and the age profile of those affected my initial hunch was that the mortality rate for those affected would be around this number or perhaps a little more. The population of those infected (around 600) was too small to draw a statistical inference with a reasonable level of confidence. We have moved on from there.

South Korea data is reliable

Of 4212 cases there have been 22 deaths so far. 22/4212 = 0.0052

There are a number of caveats.

Firstly the virus is only starting to spike in SK and it can take time to kill some victims. So 0.5% maybe on the low side.

Secondly there are different strains of the virus circulating. The so called "S" strain which is becoming more prolific in China (and I assume SK) maybe less lethal than the strain (possibly the "L" one) that is circulating in Iran.

Thirdly, SK has a solid medical infrastructure. Patients with severe illness who get oxygen and good care have a far better chance of survival and survival without permanent lung damage (fibrosis). A 3% + mortality rate in less developed countries or countries hit by economic sanctions may be reality in the very near future.

Here is the chart I relied upon.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2027/2027671-470a155afe555bf70a2d1ffc54eeddeb.jpg
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1095848/south-korea-confirmed-and-suspected-coronavirus-cases/

There are other caveats to consider as well. Importantly a 0.5% mortality rate is terrible and the risk to older people and people who suffer from asthma and or post viral chest infections is much much higher.

Politicians who boast about these numbers, tout conspiracy theories or who do anything more than get people prepared are morons.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.