GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

G’day John, Let me start of by saying I have no idea re the...

1. cy7
    930 Posts.
    G’day John,

Let me start of by saying I have no idea re the future direction of Gold prices.

With respect to comparisons with 1980 … some thoughts:
    In the early to mid 1970’s gold equities crashed along with the halving of the gold price …. Share prices crashed to the same extent they have now ….. 10% of the value of a couple of years previous.

In Jan 1980 (and in the following years) when gold fell from 850 to 450/500, share prices corrected sharply, but nowhere near the same extent as the mid 70’s or 2012/14.

In actual fact, (Aust. at least), gold equities reached their peak in October 1987, some 7 years later.
    So make of that what you wish …. Maybe it is hard to compare?

Some other thoughts ….. and all this comes from memory, so may be subjective.

In the mid 1970’s sentiment was powerfully bearish ….. similar to today.

Post Jan 1980, sentiment was more even handed, verging on bullish … we still believed the dream, or at least a rerun of the mid 1970’s.

Another factor that distorts the comparison is that in the 1980’s there were major breakthroughs in technology that made for the economic processing of large low grade deposits.

I read your post earlier this morn, and obviously you put a lot of thought and work into it.

Pretty hard to get a rational discussion on gold, so good luck there ….. I haven’t followed up on the thread as yet.

Sadly the thread is loaded with ideological gold bulls, and gold bears …. I don’t really understand that mindset, and it makes discussion difficult.

Time will tell I suppose …. At one stage the famed Albion Process was to be our technological breakthrough????

My guess is that this is not the end gold for another 15 years ….. the overly bearish sentiment suggest otherwise ….

Regards, cy7

PS: just reading thread .... its an interesting one.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.