Was there an option for the police to ram killers car ?

1. 6,437 Posts.
    Have watched video repeatably of the mongrel in Melbourne driving in circles within the intersection of Swanston and Flinders Streets .

Police unmarked vehicle was sitting on tram tracks outside Station heading East along Flinders at the end of first lap of car . Car continued to circle but stopped , hesitated several times including a short period near unmarked police car . Two other unmarked , one behind the unit sitting on the tram tracks , the other on the bitumen next to the other two .

Given the high number of pedestrians , cars and horse drawn carriage . Wouldn't they (knowing the assailant) deem his behavior right there and right then too high a risk to let him continue . The lead car (with high acceleration ability ) was well within strike distance on at least 2 occasions

I would have thought the sacrifice of a police car a worthwhile decision to make at the time - i know , it's easy to say now and no i wasn't there .

They had to assess the risk but did they include the risk of flight from the intersection in any direction ?

I personally think the lead police car (unmarked ) should have either head on rammed him or hit him midships or even towards the rear spinning him around - there were instances where the distance between his car and the police were quite short

Easy to be the judge afterwards but this behaviour lasted some time before he moved off towards Bourke Street

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.