in that hastily-convened, late-night Senate hearing, senators...

1. 41,419 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642

in that hastily-convened, late-night Senate hearing, senators from the Coalition and the crossbench had a bevy of other questions about the bill that could not be answered.

And though the Coalition and the Greens had very different questions, they joined forces to delay the bill until May, frustrating the government's desire for swift passage and opening up weeks of deliberation.

Three key questions will need to be explored.

ABC LINK

this is actually a pretty hard judgement of the Labs --- for all the reasons I've given above. I'm feeling rather gratified to the ABC for this. it explain it far better than I could.

one day we'll realise we don't need to fear the "others" who aren't like us. we'll realise that if you go travelling all over the world and you see through your own eyes you still see foreigners. but if you only talk and listen carefully, all cultures, people have the same values of respect for laws, love of the family and a wish to make a better life and be comfortable in their old age.

why we should sent people who've come here in desperation to a land where they know no-one, have no supports at all unless the accidentally meet some from their culture, have no means of understanding the language or ability to earn a living? they might just as well kill themselves.

our rejection of them could be their death. thats what we risk.

the cost of keeping these people from living here is enormous in terms of money, yeh, and also our own national self-esteem and our international standing.

fgs they're here. we should allow them to settle and learn the good side of Aus and be happy productive members of the community.

and yep, I have a spare room.... they would be welcome till they can find their own space.
    Last edited by Scott th Ratbag: 28/03/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.