Hey KGB, there is pretty poor evidence that salt is bad for you....

1. 76 Posts.
    Hey KGB, there is pretty poor evidence that salt is bad for you. I recently spoke to an old cardiologist who was practising in the late 50's. Back then people had essential hypertension and a blood pressure of around 300mmHg. You don't see anything as high as that these days. Well back in the 50s & 60s there was no medication for high blood pressure so they compared diets around the world and they looked at the diet of countries that didn't have hypertension and declared that salt must be the cause of hypertension in western societies. The trouble as my cardiologist pointed out was that most of the countries that had a low salt intake were also countries that had a low food intake in general- including low sugar which could just as easliy be the problem. There were no double blind studies that showed anything conclusive except for some rat studies which showed that yes rats on a high sodium diet do get hardened arteries but the level of salt given to them over a period of time was about 100 times the average daily dose.
    My motto : everything in moderation (except fast food.)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.