Whatley says booing of Goodes "Racist", page-766

1. 23,305 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8
    Lapdog, the idea of something similar to a Haka is a worthwhile idea but:

The Haka must be hundreds of years old so is a dance created by children a few years ago equivalent?
    The Haka is done facing the opposition team so was Adam Goodes' dance directed at the crowd equivalent?
    When a dance is chosen and sanctioned by the Aboriginal community, will non Aboriginals participate?

I saw a newspaper article over the weekend (link lost sorry) with a comment saying that the person was uneasy about a war dance with spear throwing gestures at the crowd. An Aboriginal Elder simply replied by castigating the person for presuming to understand the cultural significance of the dance and that they had misinterpreted the gesture. Isn't interpretation the right of the viewer when they see what seems to be a spear thrown at them?

This is not a side issue or a hijack comment but to me shows how complex the issue is. As many others have said on many threads, the priority is improving conditions for Aboriginal people, reduced domestic violence, equal opportunity and so on.

I wish I knew how best to achieve it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.