Why would Russia hit Nord 1 &2?, page-710

1. 2,653 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 267

>to explain to you how one part of the pipe would rupture when the pressure increases
    No, in your explanation the pipe ruptures because the earthquake applied a shearing force to the pipe, nothing at all to do with a pressure increase inside the pipe. Which, oh, that's a force external to the pipe.

And the explosion occurs due to the earth being less able to hold gas pressure than the pipe.

The pipe is not exploding and causing a crater. The pipe ruptures, leaks gas pressure into the earth, which either explodes or explosively ruptures the earth.

But, yes, if a buried pipe had an explosive placed in it, it may cause a crater. But the key reason for this is that the pipe is buried.

You haven't at all rebutted the fact that craters occur due to underground explosions, only strengthened my case.

>"Explain to me how pressure built inside the pipe at just that section inbetween the torn welds?
    You didn't explain that part at all. Because, it is impossible. You can't get localised pressure increases in a pipe, the pipe is a single vessel.
    The pressure drops along the length of the pipe.

>If the pressure inside the pipe was enough to make the entire vessel rupture, it would have destroyed the entire pipe... not just one section..." which is obviously incorrect

Lol I mean, I admit I'm being a little bit of an ass here, because you could not pressurise an entire pipeline to the point that it would catastrophically fail in the same way that, eg, an LPG tank would fail. As you rightly state, the pipes fail due to weakening at certain areas or external forces to the pipe damaging the pipe.

>It is just a fact that natural gas pipelines have caused craters because of "loss of containment" caused by mechanical failure or operational/human error (internal over pressures) among other things.

Yes, it is absolutely a fact, you're right.

But a key part of that crater formation, that you entirely seem to gloss over, is that the loss of containment which leads to a crater occurs

Under

The

Ground

The loss of containment itself is not explosive, in fact, that the pipe is buried stops the pipe from failing as explosively. However, the earth as a container for gas pressure does fail explosively. As demonstrated by the craters that occur when a pipe leaks gas pressure into the ground.

Heres what it looks like when a surface level pipeline is over pressurised and fails explosively

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/4825/4825217-dadb044212b7cb4766a04ab6af4d2ab4.jpg

No possibility of a crater there, you see.

So again, you're proving nothing with the exception that craters form when something explodes under the surface.

Is the Nordstream pipeline buried.. under the sea bed?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.