It is surprising really that even after the time that has passed...

1. 16,046 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 134
    It is surprising really that even after the time that has passed since Bretton Woods and the creation of all these global organs and regional agreements, the free market system has not been able to shake off the periodic periods of boom and bust. In fact it seems to have become more like boom, bust, bust, boom, bust bust, bust..
    Marx let loose the dogs of uncertainty, or was it Engels, when he saw a dream of a communist system of one for all and all for one, which would rid the world of poverty and inequality. The various people who professed to be acting in their name actually ended up creating systems which produced oppression arguably more severe than what it replaced
    Thus the "free" market system survives and finds itself increasingly unable to solve problems like keeping the lights on, food on the table and a place to call home.
    I do at times feel pangs of guilt as one of the diminishing generation who enjoyed the fruits of prosperity from 1950 - 2010 or thereabouts and now witness that system falling apart at the seams.
    I did for a while do my bit as an economics graduate in a state treasury department, bright eyed and bushy-tailed, hoping to make a difference to society. That dream lasted a few short years as I saw the banality of the system and I quit to do something more entertaining at least.
    Most of the commentators, here and abroad, who I respect for their analysis on the political economy are of the same opinion as I am, viz. that things are going to get a deal worse before they get better.
    But as the song goes - 'always look on the bright side of life'

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.