thanks there are many kinds of medicine when my mother had her...

1. 37,911 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 828
    thanks

there are many kinds of medicine

when my mother had her thyroid removed, she was given the wrong medicine. I discovered there were three kinds of thyroid replacement medicine & found the suitable medicine for her

buddha offered humanity many kinds of medicine

harmlessness & safety is medicine dispensed by Buddha

right understanding & skills for relationships is a medicine dispensed by the Buddha

real love & real care is another medicine dispensed by Buddha

even giving the impression there is life after death is a medicine for many

the noble truths and characteristics are another medicine but this medicine may be not suitable for all because they lead to dispassionateness & abandonment

Buddha did not offer them to all but to the relative few

I mentioned them because they are the core teachings & what is regarded as 'ultimate truth', i.e., irrefutably provable

the bulk of the original Buddhist scriptures are devoted to the medicine of non-attachment

for example, clearly discerning the characteristic of impermanence leads to non-attachment

~~~~

to say love brings happiness is a general truth rather than ultimate truth because love can also bring unhappiness

to say ethics & non-harming bring happiness is a general truth rather than an ultimate truth because we may be ethical but certain life experiences (such as loss, death, sickness, etc) may bring unhappiness

believing in life after death may bring freedom from suffering but it cannot be proven

but the noble truths are irrefutable ultimate truth because every time there is suffering, it originates from craving & attachment and every time there is no craving & no attachment (egoism) there is freedom from suffering

Buddha was enlightened. however, being so, he did not offer the same medicine to all patients

Buddha can manifest different virtues for different people

regards
    Last edited by ddzx: 11/07/14

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.