‘He’s lied to me’: Turnbull joins Macron in rebuking PM on subs deal

1. 26,933 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 80

‘He’s lied to me’: Turnbull joins Macron in rebuking PM on subs deal

In a fierce criticism of his former colleague, Mr Turnbull said Mr Morrison had lied to him when they worked together in government but had committed a graver mistake by being dishonest on an international level.

Mr Turnbull, who is in Glasgow for the COP26 climate summit, said he had no doubt the French leader had been deceived and said he had the same experience as prime minister from 2015 to 2018 when he worked with Mr Morrison.

“Oh, he’s lied to me on many occasions,” Mr Turnbull said when journalists asked him about the events on the sidelines of the summit.

“Scott has always had a reputation for telling lies.”

“But when you do that as leader of the nation, internationally, it reflects on us all.

“Deceiving people is bad wherever you do it but when you do it at an international level it has much graver ramifications.”

“Morrison created the impression to the French that everything was going ahead at the same time he was planning to pull the plug if he got a better deal,” Mr Turnbull said.

“That would be regarded as sharp practice in the property development sector, let alone between nations.”

“He can bluster as much as he likes but he’s not fooling anyone,” Mr Turnbull said.

“He has sacrificed Australian honour, Australian security and Australian sovereignty. Now that is a shocking thing for an Australian prime minister to do.”

disallowed/politics/federal/he-s-lied-to-me-turnbull-joins-macron-in-rebuking-pm-on-subs-deal-20211103-p595g2.html

Australian officials fear leaking Macron’s texts crossed a line amid US tension

Unlike Australia, the Biden administration cannot afford to have a terminal relationship with the French government: Washington has equities at stake that Canberra does not, including as a NATO partner in dealing with a recalcitrant Russia.

While the US would not have been pleased with the leaking of the text messages, or accusations of lying, China would be loving the diplomatic spat involving three of the most important powers in the Indo-Pacific.

https://www.watoday.com.au/politics/federal/australian-officials-fear-leaking-macron-s-texts-crossed-a-line-amid-us-tension-20211102-p5958i.html

Some leader, what a massive fool, we have leading the country, and I note the Oz has gone into bat on his behalf.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.