PLS 1.64% $3.10 pilbara minerals limited

I have tried to dig into this and the answer isn't clear. What...

1. 1,242 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 13
    I have tried to dig into this and the answer isn't clear.

What is clear is that the battery farms will have make up a significant sector of the demand, but analysts are slow to either recognise that, or are having difficulty accounting for it.

A large part of the issue finding the information is that it is difficult trying to filter the signal from the noise. This noise is based in large part on the English language media's focus on what Tesla is doing.

A lot of what is written in the media focuses solely on how much lithium will be required by Tesla's cars, while ignoring all other cars.

Some sections of the media also try to focus on Powerwalls, while ignoring other home battery suppliers. Or by ignoring Telsa's Powerpack and competitors' utility scale battery facilities. Many of them when they run their numbers look at Tesla's plans for '5 Gigafactories' and base their demand on that and completely ignore any other battery producer, even Tesla's partner Panasonic who are building their own separate Gigafactory project.

Most of the growth number I've seen tend to quote a '10% year on year growth' figure and end up with 550,000 t demand by 2025. This is clearly low. The most bullish figure I have seen that tried to put some kind of analysis in is '16% year on year' and ended up with 750,000 t by 2025. But two more gigafactory-scale battery plants were anounced in the week after that was published.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLS (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.