BIT 5.17% 5.5¢ biotron limited

$10 Billion Deal, page-12430

1. 3,441 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 448
    Much is still unknown about how BIT225 actually works in given circumstances however as you know various trials have shown that it can be beneficial in treating some specific viruses. This said its important to understand the context of these trials in order to consider your questions.

Firstly in almost all trials BIT225 it is used in conjunction with existing known drug treatments to try and enhance outcomes to those. Patients aren't just taking BIT225 to treat these diseases, Covid excepted. There is no suggestion that HIV, Hep C patients etc could just take BIT225 and hope to stay healthy or be cured. We don't yet have any data from human Covid trials but those will be interesting.

All trials conducted are on infected patients so there is no solid published data on how long BIT225 continues to provide benefits after dosing. The published data for the 009 trial for example stops on day 86, ie as soon as BIT225 dosing completes. We simply aren't told what happens to the patients thereafter. The current 010 and 011 trials include significant post treatment followup periods which should shed some light on this question. Lets hope the presented data when we get to see it includes this followup period so that we can better understand any longevity of the compound. Given frequency of dosing, I suspect it's short.

Most drugs have side effects so BIT225 is no different. Most not severe and flu-like such as Rhinorrhoea, Pyrexia, Rash, and headaches. There are many others however the ones that I mentioned here are the ones significantly above what was experienced by control groups in the 009 HIV trial. These vary by virus which the patient is suffering from. The last Hep C trial suffered from much worse symptoms causing significant dropout issues. These may not all have been due to BIT225 but unfortunately with small trials, small and unusual things become big statistical problems so I didn't include these in the above list.

Finally if you go over the dozen or so trials you will note that Biotron has refined the dosing over time. Less was found to be ineffective and more was found to significantly increase side efforts and trial dropouts. Have a look at the 100mg cohort from the 009 trial to see what I mean.

To address your specific question, based on what we currently know its unlikely that BIT225 would be used in preventative medicine. None of the existing research even attempts to do so which is also quite telling. Its generally not used as a standalone solution anyway and there is no data on long term impacts as its not intended to be used in this way. Besides its likely to be make you feel like crap most of the time given the typical side effects.

Most importantly, you will no doubt be aware of the ever increasing problem with drug resistance of both viruses and bacteria. Although part of this is natural, the pace is rapidly increased by over-use and misuse of existing drugs. New drugs need to be developed to combat this. Using a potential new drug like BIT225 as a vitamin defeats its purpose. Medical professionals need new drugs in their arsenal like BIT225.

I'd be cautious about the term "broad spectrum". Its a novel drug and its method of action isn't fully understood but its rarely used standalone but instead part of a bigger solution for specific viral infestation problems. Hopefully as the research continues we can better understand how it works and where it is best applied. I think some of that research is due in "coming weeks" !

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BIT (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
5.5¢
Change
-0.003(5.17%)
Mkt cap ! $49.62M
Open High Low Value Volume
5.8¢ 5.8¢ 5.4¢ $41.34K 730.9K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 5797 5.4¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
5.5¢ 20140 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 10/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
5.4¢
  Change
-0.003 ( 6.90 %)
Open High Low Volume
5.9¢ 5.9¢ 5.3¢ 119512
Last updated 15.48pm 10/05/2024 ?
BIT (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.