10 illegals escape from inverbrackie

1. 1,105 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 18
    What a joke. They can't even look after them whilst in detention. They do what they want when they want.

Asylum seekers escape from Inverbrackie Detention Centre - to pick fruit Adam Todd, Political Reporter From: AdelaideNow December 29, 2010 10:46AM 13 commentsIncrease Text SizeDecrease Text SizePrintEmail Share
    Add to DiggAdd to del.icio.usAdd to FacebookAdd to KwoffAdd to MyspaceAdd to NewsvineWhat are these? A detention centre staffer, left, accompanies young asylum seekers around the Inverbrackie Detention Centre on Sunday. Picture: Tait Schmaal Source: The Advertiser
    A GROUP of 10 newly-arrived asylum seekers escaped from the low-security Inverbrackie Detention Centre by climbing over the fence to pick fruit.
    Witnesses say they saw the group giving each other a boost to climb over the 3m high fence to pick plums from a nearby tree.

The group were on the other side of the fence for at least 10 minutes before security was notified.

The incident happened about 8pm last Thursday.

A witness, who did not wish to be named, told AdelaideNow she was driving down Woodside-Nairne Rd when she saw the group climbing over the fence near Balaklava Ave on the northern side of the detention centre.

"They were giving each other a boost over the fence and I couldn't believe what I was seeing," she said.

"There was a cherry plum tree a couple of metres outside the fence, they were picking plums off, making a basket with the front of their shirt.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    "There was 10 of them, and I was like `you're kidding me'."

She said she notified security who were unaware the asylum seekers had escaped.

She said Immigration Department officials also downplayed the escape by pointing out they were only a couple of metres outside the fence.

Local Liberal MP Jamie Briggs said the escape raised serious questions about the centre's security.

"It gets to the preparedness of the centre," he said.

"It's been rushed, it's not well thought through and it's not well planned and people are just climbing over the fence."

AdelaideNow is seeking a response from the Immigration Department.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.