I highly recommend that everyone reads Peter Van Onselen,...

1. 2,855 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2430
    I highly recommend that everyone reads Peter Van Onselen, contributing editor to the Weekend Australian Newspaper, page 22.
    Here is a summary: South Korea's fatality rate is 0.7%. Italy's is 7%. Australia has 25M people. A 40% national infection rate at 0.7% results in 70 000 fatalities. At 7%, it equated to 700 000. Australia will fall somewhere in the middle, hopefully towards the lower end.
    Onselen then becomes highly critical of the Australian Governments containment policy, and rightly so, as both figures above are enough to require maximum protection from infection. Morrison's argument for not to close schools here is based on the Singapore model, but very unrealistically. Every student there has compulsory temperature checks every day and wears a mask 100% of the time.
    He concludes by saying how important it is to continuously scrutinize our political leaders rather than blindly accept what they tell us.
    Let me add to the debate regarding school closures. Part of the governments argument is that health care worker mums (dads) will be forced home to look after children, and grandparents may be required and putting them at risk. But what do they do in normal holiday periods?
    Regardless, this makes no sense. Sorting out home affairs NOW before our hospitals are over run later when our health care workers are needed most, is an obviously much better contingency. Even if grandparents are utilized as child carers, they are at no greater risk now when their grandchildren are at home before becoming carriers later by staying at school. They are at less risk if their children stay home. That is the whole point.
    The Australian government is doing it all wrong. If you don't agree, then provide proper reason like a reasonable person, and leave the 'your just another social media expert' crap at the door.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.