CFU 0.00% 0.4¢ ceramic fuel cells limited

10th european sofc forum 26th-29th june, page-10

1. 313 Posts.
    Jaluma, my reasoning follows.

VPPs, like smart grids, sound marvellous except who knows for sure if practice will match theory. Just consider Ausgrid, only now are the studies being done to determine if decentralized energy and smart grids actually work. Results are promising but years of hype are only now being tested and quantified.

VPPs of many Bluegens, for example, still only produce small amounts of power and at times not enough power. They are afterall aimed at the residential and small business market. Part of the reason a Bluegen needs grid connection is to import electricity when demand exceeds it's output. BGs are being run at about 1kW to improve stack reliability and longevity: have a few household devices, aircon. (in particular) running at the same time and a single BG can't meet demand.

A VPP will hopefully have excess capacity elsewhere to fill that demand. Tough luck if the entire VPP is in energy deficit at the same time. Someones house, business or appliances will have to be switched off to balance demand with supply. The problem of peak demand doesn't disappear just because a fuel cell is buzzing away 24/7.

So if you have to have back-up from the existing grid that has performed capably for years with tried and proven technology wouldn't you ask the question, is the extra money being splashed on new, and still being proven, tech worth the effort? The same money spent on what exists now might give better outcomes. Like I said, time will tell.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CFU (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.