AUL 0.00% 28.5¢ austar gold limited

14yr wait over for djungun native title

1. 7,917 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 512
    This is what you are after ... would explain the bids today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-02/14yr-wait-over-for-djungun-native-title/4171296?section=qld

14yr wait over for Djungun native title

By Kirsty Nancarrow

Posted August 02, 2012 08:29:17

The Federal Court will today make a native title determination over one of north Queensland's longest-running land claims.

Native title rights will be officially recognised in four areas of Djungun country, including Mount Mulligan on the Atherton Tablelands.

The North Queensland Land Council (NQLC) says it has taken 14 years to reach the native title consent determination.

The NQLC's principal legal officer, Martin Dore, says it will be an historic day.

"It's the recognition that it exists and that the Djungun people are the proper traditional owners for the area which is extremely important for people," Mr Dore said.

The NQLC says it will be an emotional time for the Djungan people as many community members have not survived to witness the determination.

The Federal Court will convene in Dimbulah this morning to make the determination and the hearing will be followed by a community celebration.

The land council says it is particularly important that it covers an area now listed on both state and federal cultural heritage registers.

--

Can I at last say something trite and childish like ... fasten seatbelts or prepare for take off?

I think I can.

:-)

EB

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AUL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.