RHK 0.00% 86.0¢ red hawk mining limited

15 km to rio's railway, page-8

1. 72 Posts.
    I've always thought RIO was the key to the FMS story and nothing so far has made me think differently. With resource stocks you either make money from the "find" (ie Nov 2007 with the original FDL) or you make it over the period it takes for the company to become a "producer".

The "find" can make you $$$ very quickly. The "producer" process take a lot of time, patience and start up costs for both the company and shareholders. The money investors outlay from the find-to-production stage should be considered a medium to long term investment and youd be foolish to expect things to happen quickly. My view is that FMS is now 80% through the find-to-producer stage with an exciting future in store and 2010 will be a year to remember.

Ive been impressed with FMS management and the information provided through updates. There is always room for improvement but over all Im quite happy with what has evolved. In October this year FMS provided a tour of the Pilbra project. I found one article that came out not long after very informative and quite refreshing. I think it provides some positive information but it is realistic in terms of what still needs to be done and the patience required. The article is below and Ive identified in CAPITAL LETTERS some of the parts I found most significant. Happy new year all.

October 2009

Iron ore explorer Flinders Mines is in EARLY STAGE TALKS WITH RIO TINTO ABOUT POTENTIAL MINE GATES SALES from its Pilbara project in a remote and rugged part of Western Australia. ACCESS TO INFRASTRUCTURE - PROVIDING A PATH TO EXPORT - IS A KEY CHALLENGE for the project, near Rio Tinto's Tom Price iron ore mine in the Hamersley Ranges.

But selling iron ore to Rio Tinto for BLENDING PURPOSES is just one solution being investigated by Flinders, the company's managing director Kevin Wills told reporters during a tour of the operation.

Any DEAL COULD BE SIMILAR TO THE ONE RIO TINTO STRUCK IN JULY 2008 WITH IRON ORE HOLDINGS LTD (IOH), under which the Kerry Stokes-controlled junior miner will sell product from its remote Phil's Creek mine north west of Newman to the mining giant in 2010.

Shares in Flinders ended at 13.5 cents, up 0.5 cents or 3.85 per cent. Mine gate sales provided the best opportunity for early income, Dr Wills said during the weekend tour.

However, Flinders will also look INTO POTENTIAL RAIL ACCESS AGREEMENTS WITH RIO TINTO, which operates a rail line that runs from its huge Paraburdoo and Tom Price mines to Dampier Port, passing within a few kilometres from Flinders' project.

Flinders chairman Bob Kennedy said the company was ALSO IN TALKS WITH FORTESCUE METALS GROUP ABOUT USING A PROPOSED SPUR LINE CONNECTING FORTESCUE'S SOLOMON DEPOSIT, which adjoins Flinders' project, to its existing rail line to Port Hedland.

An OPTION IS TO SELL INITIAL PRODUCTION TO RIO TINTO THROUGH MINE GATE SALES, AND THEN EXPORT LATER OUTPUT VIA FORTESCUE'S AND AQUILA RESOURCES LTD'S PLANNED ANKATELL POINT PORT AND RAIL JOINT VENTURE.

This would involve FLINDERS CONTRIBUTING $3 MILLION TO $4 MILLION TO A SPUR LINE linking its Pilbara project to the joint venture's network. ''We've definitely got possibilities but no deals on infrastructure yet,'' Dr Wills, a former executive of the Rio Tinto owned CRA Exploration Pty Ltd, said.

He said FLINDERS WILL WAIT UNTIL RIO TINTO AND FELLOW MAJOR MINER BHP BILLITON LTD COMPLETE THEIR PLANNED 50/50 IRON ORE JOINT VENTURE IN THE PILBARA, which is aimed at unlocking value from their neighbouring resource projects. ''Until the BHP/Rio (Pilbara iron ore) joint venture is completed, they don't want to do anything,'' Dr Wills said.

The mining giants expect to finalise their planned tie-up by mid-calendar 2010, by which time Flinders anticipates having completed its pre-feasibility study. ''WE NEED TO FINISH THE STUDY BEFORE WE CAN TALK TURKEY WITH THEM,'' Dr Wills said.

FLINDERS IS CONFIDENT IT CAN STRIKE A DEAL ONCE IT PROVES UP SUFFICIENTLY HIGH GRADES and tonnes at its Pilbara project, where it has defined a 511 million tonne resource grading 55.4 per cent iron in the inferred category of Australia's mineral reporting code.

About eight different iron ore mineralisation types have been encountered on the tenements, including some evidence of HYPOGENE HEMATITE, A HIGHLY SOUGHT-AFTER VARIETY OF IRON ORE THAT CAN REACH GRADES OF 75 PER CENT.

Dr Wills said THIS ORE WAS NOT PART OF THE PRE-FEASIBILITY STUDY, but if more was discovered it could ``change the nature of the project''. He said CHINESE STEEL MILLS HAD ALREADY EXPRESSED INTEREST IN OFFTAKE DEALS, BUT FLINDERS WOULD ONLY ENTER DETAILED NEGOTIATIONS ONCE THE STUDY WAS COMPLETE.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RHK (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
86.0¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $171.8M
Open High Low Value Volume
86.0¢ 86.0¢ 86.0¢ $148 172

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 4542 80.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
87.0¢ 4690 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.07am 19/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
RHK (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.