I’m an Arkansas ER physician. We are at the point warned about a...

1. 10,973 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 153
    I’m an Arkansas ER physician. We are at the point warned about a year ago. There are no ICU beds in the state. 4 days ago we called 5 surrounding states looking for ICU beds and we were unsuccessful. (Thread)
    In simple terms, because the critical care beds are full of ill Covid patients (who tend to have a slow recovery), there are no beds for the heart attacks, the major traumas, the septic patients…I could go all day.
    A few facts:
    1) The average delta variant positive person infects 6 people (compared to less than 3 with the original variant)
    2) Almost all of the ill pneumonia patients we are seeing are unvaccinated (yes vaccinated people can get it but mostly with milder symptoms)
    3) We are seeing a trend of severe disease in younger people

A few requests:
    1) Wear a mask! It’s how most of us who spend all day with Covid patients coughing in our faces don’t get it. It’s worked for more than a year. It also keeps you from spreading it.
    2) We are in a major surge! Stay away from large unmasked gatherings.
    3) The ERs are loaded, there is a wait. Maybe call your doctor first.
    4) Get vaccinated! I obsessively love my family and I grabbed each of them by the ear to get their shot as soon as they were eligible. I would never hurt them.
    A little snark:
    1) If you won’t wear a mask for 20 minutes in Walmart to protect kids who can’t get the vaccine, you would
    not have hid Anne Frank. Stop saying that! This is your real history hero moment. Step up.
    2) Your friend from high school “who has done all the research and knows the truth about vaccines”, hasn’t and doesn’t.
    I have 2 degrees and 30 years of experience in medicine and I usually have to read these articles several times to make sure I understand them.
    Addendum: I have nothing to promote but getting the vaccine. Also, we have cared for every patient who arrived at our doors. It has been inspiring to see the medical and nursing staff, administration and all the ancillary services make this happen.

• • •

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.