Marum, i’d like to draw your attention to information about the...

1. 9,145 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 498
    Marum, i’d like to draw your attention to information about the phase 3 trials for the AstraZeneca vaccine.

the information suggests that far from this vaccine being untested as you’ve said in your post, the phase 3 trials appear more than comprehensive.

the material won’t take long to read. I commend it to you.

from The ATLANTIC October 20, 2020

”Phase 3 trials are always large, but the ones for COVID-19 vaccines are especially so, Ruth Karron, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Immunization Research, says. Vaccine trials depend on volunteers getting exposed to COVID-19 as they live their life: The incidence of illness in the treatment group compared with the placebo group shows how effective the vaccine is.

“A normal vaccine trial might recruit 3,000 to 6,000 volunteers, but could run for years.

”We don’t have that kind of time with COVID-19. Each trial plans for a certain number of COVID-19 infections, and to hit that number, companies can either wait a long time for fewer volunteers to get naturally infected or they can recruit lots and lots of volunteers, which is what they’ve done. “We want to be able to detect an efficacy signal as quickly as possible,” Karron says.”

the following few paragraphs were part of AstraZeneca’s formal statement on the efficacy of their vaccine in trials.

”The AstraZeneca US Phase III trial of AZD1222 demonstrated statistically significant vaccine efficacy of 79% at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 and 100% efficacy at preventing severe disease and hospitalisation.

”This interim safety and efficacy analysis was based on 32,449 participants accruing 141 symptomatic cases of COVID-19. The trial had a 2:1 randomisation of vaccine to placebo.

”Vaccine efficacy was consistent across ethnicity and age. Notably, in participants aged 65 years and over, vaccine efficacy was 80%.”

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.