MPO 0.00% 14.0¢ molopo energy limited

2 month hiatus

1. 749 Posts.
    Hi all

No need to read this if you can’t be bothered. These are just my observations (specifically of the MPO thread) and thought I’d share them with whoever feels like reading them.

After a self-imposed 2 month hiatus from posting on HotCopper, largely due to the fact that certain opinions posted were shunned upon and labelled agenda driven, I decided to become more of an observer rather than a contributor. It posed less of a headache for me and allowed me to sit back and watch human nature unfold (I enjoy sitting back and observing, it teaches you a lot more than when you participate).

HotCopper is akin to a mass human psychological experiment. This is not a new concept for chat forums or for HC, but I have been somewhat intrigued by the behaviour of the individual and the group mentality. It has confirmed my beliefs of group psychology and how certain events affect the underlying structure of the group.

For many months MPO had a stellar performance, running from 4c 12 months ago up to a high (over a 9 month period) of 34.5c. In this time, most people (if not all) on HC that had purchase MPO were in a euphoric state of mind. The days seemed brighter, the people seemed happier, family life no doubt felt better, and everyone posting on HC was friendly and helpful. This is because everyone shared a common goal and belief that MPO would continue its stellar run onto higher highs.

Then in August trouble begins to brew overseas, which naturally translates to trouble at home. Spec stocks go into a dizzying downward spiral, some with no end in sight. No one is safe, not even those invested in the safest of the blue chips. The world is ending. The world is not ending. Is the world ending? The herd has begun to split between those that believe this is a blip and those that believe this is the beginning of the end.

Many stocks recover and race past their old highs. Not MPO. It continues its downward spiral. More splitting in the herd appears as supposed long term believers and investors attempt to conserve their capital in what looks like a never ending sell down/capping. These people are met with hostility from “ex team mates” – the same people they used to laugh with and look to the bright future with. Some believe there is a hidden agenda in the posts. Backstabbing occurs.

And then MPO turns around - starts a big climb. The ones that sold to preserve capital congratulate those holders that stuck around. They were prepared to take the risk by holding, and it has finally paid off (to some degree). But even after congratulations are given, some of the people that held still resort to belittling others – “I told you so” “You shouldn’t have sold” “Who’s laughing now”. An almost permanent wedge of disloyalty has emerged from a once happy team.

Which basically shows me that when things are working well and there is no stress, everyone is happy and everyone is friendly. The common goal is in sight and we are all on the same boat to get there. But when problems begin to arise and the stress levels build up, fractures in the group foundations occur, opinions become arguments, discussions become heated debates. Some people are supposedly right and some supposedly wrong. This is what causes the tensions and problems in the world. Not allowing people to have a different opinion. At the time, the opinion is there as it is the best solution for the individual circumstances. You don’t have to agree with it. You just have to accept that there is a differing opinion. Counter the opinion with healthy debate rather then belittling and cursing.

We must learn that we can not always agree on things. Differing opinions are healthy and they should be accepted without prejudice but met with discussion and debate. It would be a very boring world if we all thought and felt the same thing.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MPO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.