SMN 0.00% 37.5¢ structural monitoring systems plc

@mool. Not yet IMO. SMN is making progress, but against strong...

1. R-7
    651 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 316
    @mool. Not yet IMO.

SMN is making progress, but against strong industry headwinds. Continuous Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) and some other forms of Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) are competing against entrenched practice in an industry that is notoriously risk averse. While SMN have made progress with FAA approvals and Boeing Service Bulletins (SB), SMN have yet to demonstrate one use case that is supported by the successful rollout of CVM at a commercial scale. I don't doubt they will do this, but we're not there yet.

Boeing might be interested in acquiring Structural Monitoring Systems if there was a compelling value proposition for the installation of CVM on new aircraft (to provide customers this option on new aircraft). However, there is an inherent dilemma in Boeing's endorsement (let alone ownership) of CVM, given that the technology essentially addresses defects in their aircraft. (It's hardly a selling point for Boeing to say "and we've installed crack detection devices in those areas of your new aircraft that are prone to failure..." even though the latest aircraft off Boeing's production line are subject to existing FAA Airworthiness Directives). Hence the focus by SMN on the partnering with maintenance companies like Delta TechOps. 

Any TO offer on SMN is more likely to come from Delta TechOps or a similar MRO, but even then, I wouldn't expect it for some time yet. There's still plenty of work to do to get the CVM side of the business turning a serious profit, and most big operators (including DTO) would probably be willing to pay much more once the tech is proved out and a commercial success. AIMO. GLTAH R-7

Last edited by R-7: 07/02/19

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SMN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
37.5¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $51.30M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 2977 37.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
39.5¢ 18827 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.09am 27/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SMN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.