BRN 9.09% 20.0¢ brainchip holdings ltd

From what I read about the ADRs, there may be fees involved, I...

1. 316 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 133

From what I read about the ADRs, there may be fees involved, I need to find a prospectus for BCHPY. I'm not too concerned about them at the moment as I've only purchased a small amount. However, it does seem that there can still be underlying fees for taxes, foreign exchange rates, etc. that are considered "custodial services". I don't know yet how Fidelity handles them.

In the document entitled "Understanding American Depository Receipts (ADRs)" on the Fidelity Web site, it is noted that these fees could be from $0.01 to $0.03 a share; if the ADR pays dividends, it can be deducted from those or, they may appear as a separate fee on a monthly statement. It hasn't been a month yet since I've purchased BCHPY, so I don't know all of the details yet. I have sent an e-mail to Tony Dawe to provide or point me in the direction of the prospectus for the BCHPY ADR, I will be glad to share that (unless some else is able to find it first). smile.png

That being said, the ADRs could possibly end up being a continuous source of fees as a fraction accumulated over the lifetime of the ADR, whereas purchasing a large number of actual shares is a one-time fee that may eventually be eclipsed by the value of the stock. Owning the actual shares also grants one the rights as a stockholder, while with ADRs, the stockholder is the institution that holds the underlying security.

If I were to compare buying the stock vs. buying the ADR, then I would say that buying the stock is like taking money out of an ATM that charges a fee. For the fee percentage to diminish, you need to withdraw more money. Buying the ADR is like renting furniture, you don't have enough money up-front to buy it outright, and the manageable monthly payments have extra costs built into them.

Not financial advice, but my strategy is going to be: a) if I have a large sum to invest and I plan on holding the security long-term (5 or more years is what I consider long term), then I am going to purchase BRCHF and pay the $50 foreign transaction fee; and b) if I have a smaller amount to invest and I plan to sell it under 2 years (more likely a little more over 1 year for tax purposes), then I will accumulate ADRs instead of putting the money into a savings account.

Just as a side note, below is the information that I found on the SEC's Investor Bulletin for American Depository receipts:

A common practice for collection of the custody
    fee is for the ADR depositary bank to subtract the
    amount of the fee from the gross dividends paid by
    the bank to ADR holders. Typically, the Depository
    Trust Company, (DTC) will announce both the gross
    dividend rate and the net dividend rate after deduction
    of the ADR custody fee. The ADR depositary banks
    pay DTC the net dividend, and DTC allocates the
    net dividend to its users. However, a number of ADR
    issues do not pay periodic dividends, which prevents
    the fees from being collected through the above
    described mechanism. In this case, DTC charges the
    fee to its users (i.e., banks and broker-dealers) who pass
    them on to their customers.

Depositary banks may charge other fees, such as
    relating to the distribution of dividends, foreign
    currency exchange, voting of shares, and other matters

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BRN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
20.0¢
Change
-0.020(9.09%)
Mkt cap ! $371.1M
Open High Low Value Volume
22.0¢ 22.5¢ 20.0¢ $2.364M 11.36M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
49 900437 20.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
20.5¢ 572060 13
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 24/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BRN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.