2024 NRL

1. 1,189 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3367

2024 NRL

The 2023 NRL Finals series was one of the best.

The 2024 team lineups don't seemed to have changed much.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5889/5889364-4bcef399110ae60a955e370282a2eb16.jpg

If I were to place a bet on the NRL GF winner now, it would be:

Sydney Roosters $9

Injury and suspension cost them dearly last year. They've retained all their best for 2024 and have quality in depth. Its hard to fathom they can't find a spot in their first 17 for Terrell May (despite JWH still suspended) and Billy Smith ... but then you look at the 17 and somehow understand.I don't think the other teams have their depth.

Call me biased but I think Parramatta are at stellar odds of $23. They were crucified last year by injuries and suspensions. Started the year poorly always losing the close matches. Similar lineup with player depth. Way over the odds. However, much like the Panthers, they lack a topline centre to accompany Will Penisini. Maybe a hooker too. Hand is capable but inconsistent.

Manly had their problems last year too. They lost Sean Keppie but they always had a wealth of forwards. Luke Brooks a quality addition but unsure how he will gel with DCE. Ballplayer Schuster moves back to the forwards. Another team that lacks a quality centre to accompany Koula. Maybe Trbojevic to centre and Garrick to FB?

Brisbane should be the team to bet on. Starving hungry after missing out last year. I doubt Baker is the man to replace Flegler. Loss of Kurt Capewell massive, as is Herbie Farnsworth. I thought they lacked 2 quality forwards last year. Maybe 3 this year. Kobe Hetherington stood up in the Finals and Piakura could be anything. Will old man Adam Reynolds tricky groin stand up for another year? Another team that lacks a centre partner for Staggs.

The Sharkies are a very likeable team. Always great entertainment although sometimes go missing. Nice odds at $21. I don't think I could take it though. They couldn't put away a one legged Roosters outfit in the Semis last year.

Hard to go past Penrith. Perfect forward pack. The loss of Critta major but they've survived the loss of star players before and gone better. Four? I think I'll wait and see how injuries play out. They're one quality centre short and skinny on depth. Although the Panthers have the best junior league support. They always have someone step up. Will Luai's shoulder hold?

Canberra looks insane odds at $51. I don't think Whighton was that central to their success.

Warriors lost a good player in Josh Curran but his replacement Kurt Capewell a proven seasoned top player. I forget the name of the former Sharks 5/8 they had last year. A bit young, small and injuryprone. Looked a star in the trials last year but injured most of the time. If he lines up and stays sound the $19 looks outstanding. I don't think Te Maire Martin rates as a topline player. Don't they have RTS coming back too? Or is that next year?

Souths have the team but seem schizoid. I couldn't place good money on that. Tatola was a big loss for them through injury last year. With the major loss of Hame Sele they need a sound Tatola to lead them forward. Kolomatangi seemed jaded after the SOO series. Was he carrying an injury through the 2nd half of the season?

I just don't think the Storm have the forward pack.

The Bulldogs lack two top front rowers. Backline looks entertaining.

Cowboys always a likeable team. Parramatta colours, so I'd probably support them if I ever got the requisite lobotomy to move to Qld.

Knights and Titans always entertaining ... on their day. Not so, on their off days.

Dolphins, Tigers, Saints? No thanks.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.