From time to time I've donated good quality clothes to charity....

1. 30,055 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1758
    From time to time I've donated good quality clothes to charity. Today I went in and had a look at what people had to rummage through.
    The reality was depressing.

Crowds of nearly all young people scratching around in recycled clothes that are extremely low quality. Real rubbish. And being charged top dollar for it. They don't realise they could do better just buying one good quality item and keeping it, because the cheap stuff just falls apart.

As I went out I mentioned to the woman on the checkout that the clothes were poor quality and very expensive. She said that's because we buy the clothes. I said look that's just not true. I've been donating for many years. The reality is that many young people make a living out of rummaging through the Op shops and then selling online to ebay etc.

It's desperate stuff and it's only going to get tougher. People cannot live on what they're getting on the dole so they supplement by whatever activity they can. The number of people high on drugs is going up too. It's just sad. So many closed shops. This is a kind of a financial armageddon.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.