3rd test aust v west indies, page-30

1. 567 Posts.
    OK the Australians won the series but they lost big time for Australian cricket in the way they approach the game, in my view.

Chris Gayle rightly won the man of the series not just for his play, but for his sportsman-like approach. He led the team by example and they clearly respect him as a leader.
    He didnt winge about that "silly' Billy decision after the match and congratulated the Australians as playing better to win the series, ...and he didn't job Watson.

Ponting, on the other hand is a very good cricketer, but not a sportsman.
    Whenever they cut to a close up of him he's spitting.
    What an example to kids.
    I dont think he's a leader of men. Its his approach that leads to performances like Watson gave as a member of the under 10s when he got Gayle. And Bollinger knew that Roach wasnt out - going on the way he answered at the post match interview- but what would you expect from him, he'd already claimed two catches he had grassed.
    They show no respect for the other side, sporting visitors in our country, here to battle not to be belittled.
    But they all do it, its part of Ponting's approach to the captaincy. Win at all costs. He's still sulking after being flogged by the poms.

And when I watched the presentation- I could be wrong- Ponting never mentioned or congratulated Gayle on winning the man of the series, just talked about himself and the boys. He's got no grace, that fella. They obviously thought one of the Australians should have got it for winning the series. (I see on baggy green he thought Bollinger was unlucky not to get man of the match)

One other thing. They used to bring the visitors out here a couple of weeks before the first test in a series, give them a few warm up games against the state teams and the Pm's eleven, then pick an Australian side where the guys who had real good form in the lead ups got a shot in the team, with the skipper and a few core batsmen and bowlers.
    I heard the Australian coach say on NBN they are building a team for the ashes, which will no doubt be a team of professionals like Hussey and co that lost the last series.

I'd rather see an in-form team of sportsmen going into battle than the way they make the team up now, with the old stagers who are in the in the "club" and a couple of recruits to temporarily replace the injured and replace only when you really have to

And run proper 5 test series in the summer.

Do you reckon the Windies would have pulled a crowd at the boxing day test on Saturday?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.