I thank the Good Lord that long ago as an 8year old I was...

1. 46,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    I thank the Good Lord that long ago as an 8year old I was enrolled at a school run by nuns and I fell and broke my arm. The nuns looked at me as if I had done something wrong and one said-You had better go home. So there I was holding my arm, no first aid and I struggled home on my own not even thinking there may not be anyone at home, then what would I do.

To my relief my mum was home and she rushed me to the Childrens Hospital where I was patched up.

Why do I thank the Lord? Because having permitted me to break arm, it brought the realisation to my mum that duty of care was not something those particular nuns were into. I never went back to that school because the very next day my mum enrolled me at the local public school and therefore never had to encounter any of the goings on at the time in church schools. I had a brother he was in secondary school and went to Marist Bros College. I used to wonder why he kept wagging school when reported by the Brothers. He never spoke about it.

Thankfully I went into the public system ongoing and never experienced any problems there. Some of the kids I knew went to a religious school and they would tell me how they used a short studded leather strap to administer discipline. That made me even happier that my mum put me into the public school system. All hail the good Lord and my dear departed mum. Bless her soul.

May the good Lord bring some light to all victims of abuse.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.